Friday, May 11, 2007

Free to a Good Home

This is my second home. I was put up for adoption in August of 2006. I was listed in the paper as free to a good home. My ad stated I was a purebred Springer Spaniel and good with children. I'm not sure if my age was listed but I was 2-year old and unspayed. I didn't realize it at the time but being advertised as being free is not a good idea. See the article http://www.animalaidsw.org/free.html or http://www.petrescue.com/library/free-pet.htm They list the worst case scenarios: I could have ended up in a puppy mill, an experimental lab or given to abusive owners. My life could have turned out so differently. I shudder at the thought of the alternatives. Thankfully I was given to a person who was a responsible pet owner where I'm a pampered pooch. I have lots of love, plenty of open space to run, and great friends to play with. I am having a great time.
For those that are thinking of giving away your pet. Visit this website: How can we help you keep your Pet? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/1rehome.php

4 comments:

Snoop said...

In contrast to your story, I was adopted through a pet rescue, Adopt-a-Pet www.adoptapet.lucknow.on.ca after a search on Petfinder. There was an application, an interview and an adoption fee. A lengthy process to ensure a good match. No follow up home visit but follow up emails to see how I am doing.

Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

Hey Lily,

Welcome to www.dogswithblogs.com.au - it is great to meet you, and I am sure you will make lots of new friends here :)

Love
Opy

PS - I am glad that you found a great furever home.

Ferndoggle said...

Hi Lily! We like what you're saying. Sherman & I are rescued pups too. Mom calls us Mutts but we think we're just as good as our sister Lola...who has fancy papers.

Looking forward to reading all about your adventures!!

Penny

Peanut said...

Glad you found a good home and didn't end up like some poor doggies.